Monday, July 5, 2010

Cookies 'N Cream, Mint Oreo


My first attempted recipe (no picture, sorry!) was "Cookies 'N Cream"--a chocolate cupcake with Nabisco Oreos, frosted with a vanilla buttercream frosting mixed with Oreos. After almost two years of using "substitutes" in non-vegan/non-allergy-friendly recipes and cake mixes, we were SO EXCITED over how these came out! They don't stick to the papers, they round up nicely like regular cupcakes, and the consistency was just perfect. I found the buttercream frosting a touch too sweet for my taste, so I'll be experimenting a bit on the basic vanilla buttercream to see if I can tweak it, but the cupcake part was great!

The second attempted recipe today morphed into "Mint Oreo" (pictured above--chocolate cupcake with Oreos and mint extract) with chocolate buttercream frosting. The mint was a bit too strong, so I'm going to use less next time, but the frosting came out pretty well (tasted better than the vanilla/Cookies 'n Cream frosting, at least). I tried my hand at piping the frosting instead of spreading but I had to use a "poor man's pastry bag," ie a plastic sandwich bag with a jagged hole cut in one corner. The look wasn't quite right, but it was good practice and I'm going to get my hands on a real pastry bag and decorating tips as soon as possible! I think they'd probably look great topped with an Oreo, or even frosted with a chocolate version of the Cookies 'n Cream frosting. The Mint Oreo cupcake base leaves room for plenty of different frosting options, I think, so once I adjust the amount of mint extract, I'll have to play around with other frostings!

By request, I'll be doing another batch of Cookies 'N Cream later in the week and will try to adjust the frosting(s) on those. Aside from that, I'm just compiling lists of ingredients and tools that I want to have on hand, and deciding which recipes to try next!

No comments:

Post a Comment